Cadillac Repair/85 Eldorado

Question
Hello Mr. Painter, I have an 85 Eldorado and the drivers side outside door button is no longer opening the door. Can you give me some advice on how to correct this and if this is even a repair that I should try myself? I've replaced the power window switches without difficulty and some other minor repairs, but I don't even know where to start with the door button and I haven't been able to find much info on the web. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time, Chelsea

Answer
Hi

Well, without seeing the vehicle it is hard to diagnose however I can tell you that you will find this a challenging project due to access.
There is a return spring on the button that could have broken requiring a new handle. The retainer for the rod going to the latch could have broken inside the door or the latch is defective for that portion of opening the door.
It has been at least 10years since I have changed one of these handles or serviced them, but I remember the set up pretty well.
Door panel has to be removed and for the hidden attaching screws I would recommend searching on the web.
The handle is held on by two bolts inside the door, but I seem to remember that big glass does not go up far enough to get to the bolts and you might have to take on another project of removing the glass to gain access to the handle bolts.

The good--all you need to do is remove the door trim panel to see what parts you need by looking inside the door to see what is wrong with the mechanism. This way the vehicle is not disabled while getting parts.

If the latch is bad, there are three bolts that attach it to the door and disconnect linkage, remove the latch from the inner door a reinstall the new one. If this is the problem, access to the door handle bolts wont be required.

If you remove the trim panel and can't figure out the problem, you can make me a short video of the inner door handle area and try pressing the button and I can tell you what you need.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter