Cadillac Repair/1992 Cadillac Deville

Hi on my 1992 Cadillac Deville I think I am having a transmission problem. The transmission fluid is a light brown. When I acclerate the you can hear the rpms raising that's it the car does not acclerate or take off. The transmission fluid smells burnt. I am going to pull the pan change the fluid and filter and see if I can see anything wrong. What do you thing. Do they sell something that can at least at power back into the transmission. Thanks.

Yes, it sounds like the transmission has issues. In fact, I believe that was what I was going to recommend on the last question I received which may have been from you in which the rpms would rise but the car didn't seem to go anywhere.

I am going to recommend a bandaide. I don't know if it will work for you, but I have gotten thousands of extra miles out of a tired transmission (more than once) this way.
This vehicle uses Dexron III transmission fluid.
Drop the pan, change the filter.
Then install Ford type "F" trans fluid. You will still have the dirty burned old stuff in the converter, but 4 quarts of the type F should do the trick. The type f causes the clutches in this transmission to grip better. All you have to lose is the cost of the 4 quarts and the filter and you might get some more miles out of it.
The problem with this car is that unless you have the specialized equipment to hold the engine in place, you cannot drop the suspension cradle to change the transmission, meaning you cannot do replace on your own.
Whatever you do, DON'T go to a dealer!!!!!
Good luck and let me know how it works out!  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.