Cadillac Repair/91 Fleetwood Brougham 5.0

QUESTION: My A/C compressor was not coming on by itself so i wanted to hard-wire it instead of trace the problem. I wanted to tie it in with the ECC (Electronic Climate Control) head unit so that when it powered on it would turn the compressor on. Testing the wires behind the head unit, my test light slipped when i found power and touched the wire next to it also and shorted it all out. The fuse popped, so i replaced it. Once i replaced it the digital dash was not working at all and the ECC is blank no matter what i do. I'm thinking that maybe I fried the fuse BLOCK because I am getting power on both sides of the fuse itself.itself. I've already put in a new BCM thinking that was the problem and nothing. Please help I don't want to spend any more unnecessary money and the dealer does not want to work on a 91

My first thought is check for secondary fuse boxes first, which should be found in your owner's manual. Its common for Cadillacs to have more than one fuse box.
Get back to me.

QUESTION: It does not have another fuse box

I gave you that suggestion because it is very common for Cadillacs to have more than one fuse box in hopes you would find an additional burned fuse.
Unfortunately, without being at the vehicle and possibly even at that, I do not know what damage you did. I sure as heck don't want to be guessing at your expense. You already found out the hard way guessing does not work well.
There is no standard answer that will give you the exact solution you are seeking. This is not like replacing a faulty part or diagnosing a problem for a parasitic draw. You shorted the wiring inadvertantly and the only thing I could suggest is stay away from a dealer, and possibly find a repair garage locally that can give you an estimating the time it would take to diagnose. It might be something simple, that an experience tech looking at the vehicle might find right away, or it may be very costly to repair.
If you can get a service manual on Ebay for the vehicle, trace down what is on that circuit, you might be able to figure out where to go.
I would be more than glad to help you, but when dealing with electrical and a shorted circuit, I do not believe you are going to find anyone that can accurately diagnose your problem over the Internet.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.