You are here:

Cadillac Repair/1997 Cadillac Eldorado Intermittent start

Advertisement


Question
Sir,
 I have a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado,had issue with car not starting,bought and installed new battery, car started and would run fine until I went to store and came out and it would not start. Took it to a shop after I was able to get it started and paid for a new starter to be installed and still have the same issue. Car starts fine if it has sit for at least an hour between starts. Sounds like a temp sensor problem but I don't know which one or where it is located? I get no codes when trying to start. Could this be the issue and how hard is it to fix?
Thank you for your help!

Answer
Hi,
Just going from my experience, sounds like the starter you have is no good. Yes, rebuilt and new starters can be junk out of the box!
Back in the 70s we rebuilt the starters ourselves at the dealer and never had issues. Pretty soon, starters were very cheap nd it did not pay to rebuild and these days, you have a 90% chance of getting a good one. It's that other 10% that can be a pain in the butt.
The sign of a bad starter is that engine starts fine cold engine. Once warmed up, you try to start and nothing happens. Unless you hit the case with a hammer and then it turns over.

Other things to consider are make Damn sure the engine isn't over heating, because it is aluminum and will melt. However, if engine was overheated, would still start and starter would turn over slow.

Now, temperature has nothing to do with what it tell you, but it could be coincidental. As I just told the last questioner, Cadillac blessed you with inherent problem. If it is not a problem now, it will be and it will leave you stranded. That ugly black resistor chip on your key, when inserted connects with two contacts. There is a very thin wire like the old land line phone wire that runs up the column to one contact and another from the contact. The wires are so thin they break inside the harness. In Other words, the break will never be found and can go back together sometimes by tilting the column.
Dealer charges $800 to change ignition lock.
All you need do is call around to local alarm stores and.They can bypass the vats for about $60. I highly recommend doing this.
As far as your starter, it sounds bad.

Let me know what happens.

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com
Http://www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me

Cadillac Repair

All Answers


Answers by Expert:


Ask Experts

Volunteer


Rob Painter

Expertise

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Experience

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.

©2016 About.com. All rights reserved.