Cadillac Repair/96 Cadillac Deville. problems after changing starter.

Not sure if you remember, but I questioned you about my starting problems. I did change the starter today. The cable to the positive wasn't tight, but when I removed the starter, the gear, or teeth moved back and forth, so it was no good anyways.  In the process of changing the starter, one of the vacuum hoses broke (the really thin one that connects to the intake manifold right under the fuel rail. I did go to the part store, they gave me hose to connect it. Everything else went smoothly. I took a vacuum and cleaned around the manifold before I took it off. changed the starter, put everything back together. The car started fine but the engine sounded like it was misfiring and sounded a little rough, the more it ran the roughness went away, but it still misfired, so I checked for codes, pc 0300 and 1380. I rechecked the hose that I broke and I was able to slip it out quite easily (where I repaired it). I then took the hose off and started it again and it sounded the same. I'm hoping this is the problem... I was very careful about not letting any debris get into my cylinders, a little dirt might have fallen in, but nothing else. thank you once again. to specify the vacuum hose again... it was thin... it was one of the few hoses that were all linked together near the passenger dashboard and connected to the top left of the intake manifold right under neath the fuel rail

A small vacuum leak is not going to. Cause your problem. Being computerized, the computer would compensate for a small vacuum leak. Besides, a vacuum leak won't cause a misfire.

I am guessing that when you changed the starter that somehow you pulled or broke a spark plug wire. That will cause a misfire!
Of course it is just a guess on my part, but there are not to many other possibilities it can be.
Let me know what you find.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.