Cadillac Repair/1969 cadillac fleetwood replacing fuel sending unit

i own 1969  cadillac fleetwood.
i need to replace the fuel sending unit. i already have the part.
can you tell me please, do i need to take out the fuel tank?
or there is a way to replace the fuel sending unit, without disassemble the fuel tank?

thank you

Well, you need more than a sending unit if you are going to do this.

Try to make sure the tank only has a couple gallons of gas. Fuel is about 7 pounds per gallon. You need to drop the tank and disconnect your lines and wire connections. Once the tank is dropped, on the top of the tank is the hole for the sending unit. You will have a big nut that goes on the outside of the sending unit. I suggest taking a chisel on one of the tabs. Hit with.a hammer so the nut goes counter clock wise and the sheet metal nut pops off. You will pull the sending unit out of the tank.below the sending unit in the area of the nut, you will see a O ring. You will need to replace.
I suggest you get a new sock (fine screen) pound off and on.
Make.Sure the float arm does not bind.
If you run into any problems let me know. It should be all self explanatory once you have the tank dropped.

Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.