Cadillac Repair/shocks for 88 caddilac fleetwood

Question
i just bought an 88 Cadillac fleet wood and have a couple questions regarding the shocks and air ride suspension. First off the air ride suspension system hasn't worked since i got it and the "car is leveling" light is always on in the information center.I was told that it was disabled because if hooked up it would constantly kill the battery.The ride is extremely rough and it hits hard going over ANY kind of dip causing lots of bouncing. Is this a result of that being disengaged? Second, do I need to replace the shocks and struts in order to fix the hiting so hard and the bouncing? If so what all do i need to replace? thank you very much for your time!

Answer

When the system worked, these cars would ride very nice. When there was a problem, it was a real problem.
The battery goes dead because the compressor didn't stop running because it is trying to compensate for a leak.
Because of the age,the lines could be broken as well as the shocks leaking.

See if a parts store has aftermarket Moog or Monroe shocks for it. The Cadillac version is just to expensive. Check to see in the new shocks come with New plastic lines or if you have to get them somewhere else. Install the lines and shocks and hook to compressor.
Leak test with soap water. If bubbles come out, you have a leak test.
If all is good, compressor will run until shocks are up and shut off, no longer draining battery.

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter