Cadillac Repair/1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE

Question
COOLANT FAN IS NOT WORKING CAUSES THE TEMP TO GO UP VERY HIGH.  BUT IF I TURN ON THE DEFROST OR A/C BOTH FANS TURN ON WHICH CAUSES THE CAR TO COOL DOWN.

Answer
Hello,

Well, as you are driving this vehicle with an aluminum engine, components are melting and imminent irreversible damage is occurring. Shortly, the result of overheating this engine will be blown head gaskets, potentially a cracked head or engine block.
If this engine reaches 220 degrees or higher or hot light comes on, if not shut down immediately, its going to be the demise of the engine to the point there is no return!
You will not find a good junkyard engine either because a majority have suffered from the same problem.

The only answer and I don't even know if they are even available anymore is a GM crate engine at $4k+.

These engines are not like the old cast iron Chevy engine where over heating rarely created any damage.

Your fans come on with the A/C and defrost by design. The engine does not have to be running for the fans to come on in this event. Only the ignition hs to be on.
What you are doing is using a bandaid that may not be preventing destruction of the engine.

These engines were great for performance and mileage, but the Achilles's heel was overheating.
I have been answering questions on these engines since first introduced in 1982. Check the archives.

These engines had very small water jackets and it did not take much to cause no circulation in the cooling system. Many think all they need to do is change the thermostat. The problem in this engine has almost never been the thermostat. Let's say a water pump is replaced. Possibly gasket remains were left in the engine inadvertently. That is enough to plug the cooling system!

The radiator is plugged just as easily. Blades (impellor) break off the water pump in these engines. A faulty radiator cap not keeping pressure up will cause lack of circulation.
I know why your fans are not coming on as they are supposed to. The cooling system is not circulating for whatever reason and the coolant sensor is not seeing that the fans need to be turned on in city driving. On the highway air rushes through the radiator and the fans are not needed.

I hope you have not destroyed this engine. Have the system checked with a cooling system pressure tester. If it holds pressure and is not leaking coolant from the block, heads externally and internally, the engine can be saved.

Next, have the coolant system professionally back flushed. Once engine is warmed up after running, feel the radiator top, bottom and sides. Temperature should be consistent. If not, you have a plugged radiator.

Check the temperature of the upper and lower hoses. If everything is good, you may need a coolant sensor.

One has to realize GM possibly did not leave a warning in these vehicles about overheating so they could sell engine and they sold lots!

The Renault Alliance with their aluminum engines also were overheated commonly and the pistons would melt. The difference was that they were much more inexpensive to repair because one could change the piston liner kit. Cadillac required an engine.

You could have Pandora's box here. You are not going to get away with running the A/C and the fans very long before the engine suffers substantial damage.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com  

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter