Cadillac Repair/2005 cadillac deville mirror housing

Question
QUESTION: The passenger mirror housing is loose. What can I do to tighten and repair the mirror? When you close the door, or while driving the mirror housing moves making the mirror not useable.

Thank you,Mike

ANSWER: Hello,

Unless I had that specific mirror off the vehicle where I could see as to how it was assembled, this question is difficult to answer for your specific needs.
Once removed you will know if the assembly is serviceable. If you have access to the mounting bolts at the base, tighten them. If not, get an aftermarket mirror by searching the internet and paint to match. Don't over pay significantly by getting a mirror from a dealer!

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

QUESTION: Sorry I didn't explain the problem very good. It's loose where the mirror housing folds in and out. It's like the spot that locks it in is loose and needs tightened. Can and how do you tighten the folding part of the mirror. It is not motorized.

Thank you,
Mike

Answer

That is OK. This is not a common problem and most of these mirrors are not serviceable anymore.
The mirror has to be taken off the door. Once removed look inward from the base that was mounted to the door. If there are any attaching bolts visible, tighten them. If not, you need a mirror.
It totally depends on how this was assembled. If the bolts are coming from the lens side, there is nothing you can do.
I understand what you are referring to. We called them break-away mirrors. The purpose was in the event a stationary object (such as a human) was in close proximity in theory, the mirror would not kill a person from a moving car.

Generally, with situations like yours, we had to replace the mirror, but you may luck out and find bolts that attach to the break-away plate. You will not find anything addressing this issue in a service manual, because the mirror is considered a modular assembly.

I am sorry I cannot tell you exact information because as I said, your problem was never a common occurrence and we did exactly as I am telling you, to remove the mirror and look inside the base housing.

Here is one example as to where you can find a replacement. Prices vary and you might find one in color.  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=2005+cadillac+deville+mirror

All you can do is try to tighten it. It may not be possible.

Good luck!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter