Cadillac Repair/1984 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

The digital instrument cluster(speedometer, fuel used, gallons left in tank, etc.) Is way off. The gallons of fuel increases as I drive, the speedometer is slower than I'm driving, sometimes faster than I'm driving, and the fuel gauge says there is more in the tank then there actually is. Is there anyway to reset or re calibrate instruments? Most important to me is the speedometer. Thank you.

I am not aware of any way to recalibrate on this vehicle and I have owned and serviced many.

These vehicles had issues with the digital dash display new and we sent them out for repair. However these repair facilities are long gone.

I would consider the possibility of a loose ground. There are many ground points under the dash of these vehicles. One if memory serves me correctly is by the driver's side kick panel. Remove the 10 or 11 mm head bolt of which you will find numerous black wires with eyelets going to. Remove the eyelets. Filed the steel where the bolt goes in. File all eyelets and reinstall bolt. Tighten.
Try the dash then. There are more grounds under the dash and you will have to search for them. Checking the grounds costs nothing and may yield positive results. Get back to me.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.