Cadillac Repair/1997 El Dorado cut off switch

I just bought a 97 El Dorado, and it had ran out of gas before previous owner could park it. Will there be an issue putting fuel in and getting it to work, or is there some sort of safety/cut off feature that kicks in when it's ran completely empty?

Well the cut off could be considered when the fuel pump burns up sucking air. Only add 2 gallons to it keeping the weight down in case you need to drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. You simply do not know yet, but when the ignition is on, so is the fuel pump in the tank. Two gallons accounts for 12-14 ponds weight, depending on who you listen to.

Put a couple gallons in and see if the engine runs. If not and you don't hear a humming by the filler door, you know that the fuel pump self-destructed.
When an old fuel system like this runs empty, that means all the sediment, al the junk in the tank has run through. I highly recommend changing the fuel filter which is probably original anyway. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.