Cadillac Repair/92 cadalac eldorado

This car would not crank over.. at first I have replaced the safety neutral switch still nothing, Then replaced the ignition switch and still nothing. Then had a mechanic look it over and he had to fix broken wire in steering column and replaced the distributor. Now the car cranks and starts, sometimes you have to try several times to get it to run. but doesn't run very good. there is no electronic read out in the dash and the speedometer does not work or any of the other gauges. when you put it in drive it wants to die unless you are talented enough to work the break and gas pedals. The mechanic seams to think that the problem is a bad ecm board. before I put anymore money in this car I wanted another opinion if it could be something else like the cluster panal. have illuminated so many things so far.

Hello, the first thing I would tell you is to check all fuses, especially the gauge fuse. Check owners manual to make sure there is not more than one fuse box.

Survivability issues are tough without being at car. When is the last time you changed the fuel filter?
Get back to me.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.