Cadillac Repair/northstar Radiator cap

Question
QUESTION: I have a 99 Deville and am wondering what PSI radiator cap I should have on it?    thanks

ANSWER: Hi

15pound

Http://www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me
Http://www.autothefteftexpert.com

QUESTION: if there is a 16 pound cap on it now and not a 15 pound , will that cause it to overheat    thanks

Answer
Hi Doug,

To my knowledge a 15 pound cap is supposed to be in the vehicle and I would. Suggest you confirm at a parts store.
If the wrong pressure cap is installed, many things can happen. If for instance you used a 10 pound cap, the cooling system may not circulate causing the engine to overheat.
If you use a 16 pound cap in place if a 15 pound, you are putting undue pressure on the radiator and other cooling system components and one day you find the radiator split open or a hose fail. As I said, check with a parts store and confirm what pressure cap is designated to be on your vehicle.
The cooling system is designed a certain way. Any divination, problems arise.

As for over heating on these engines, there are far too many variables to be specific, although I did tell you to check the fans and see if they are working.
These engines have very small cooling jackets. What this means is a small piece of debris,like partial remains of a water pump gasket, can either stick in a cooling jacket or even in the overflow and cause overheating.

Blown head gaskets are not ever the cause, but the result of overheating. Many do not understand that.

If the head gaskets are blown, most times you can pretty much give up on the engine, because at that point, heads can warp or crack and other catastrophic damage could have occurred. The worst thing is after all the work of replacing is senseless, if what caused the overheating condition is not addressed,because the gaskets will blow again.

Some may instead decide to get a new engine at a junkyard. Think about that statement once, yet I have heard it many times. Chances are that new engine was overheated or it wouldn't be at the junk yard!
Only option then is to get a crate motor from GM for about $4,000.00 US. That is, if they are still available.

If 16 pound is recommended use, it but if 15 pound like I have always known, get that cap off of there before problems arise.

Http:www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter