Cadillac Repair/1993 cadillac deville brake issues

Question
when i drive my car i dont hear a noise until i push the brake pedal and i feel the brake pedal push back a semi loud bang noise then after a continuing clanking noise i guess is best way to describe it?? any ideas??

Answer
Hello Rhonda,

Unfortunately, working on the Internet and trying to answer a subjective question like this is almost impossible for me to accurately answer.

Your question does not fit into a common brake noise where I could tell you this is a brake shoe, caliper or pad problem.

In fact, except for a couple of personal experiences out of tens of thousand of cars I have worked on, I can't off the top of my head, give you a definitive answer and can only come up with some thoughts.

You did not state if this has been going on for a while, or if the problem just started.

These vehicles have anti lock brakes and for a number of years there were problems with the controller under the hood. Many of these cars used what I did not care for, which was known as hydroboost. Hydroboost was operated hydraulically through the power steering system and gives the power brake assist. Hydroboost can cause strange noises. Where as other cars used vacuum for the power brake assist.

Bottom line, these are two other systems added to your brake system that need to be considered when searching for a brake noise problem.

The anti lock system will operate when the pavement is slippery or if you slam on the brakes. You will feel the brake pedal pulsing and you may hear an accompanying noise.

The hydroboost makes the pedal feel mushy compared to vacuum operated assist. It too can cause strange noises. It can also cause the brake pedal to "pop up."

Bottom line, the best advice I can give you is to take the vehicle to a service garage (not a dealer) to have the brake system checked out. This is one of these situations that I could guess all day and still may not reach an accurate diagnoses without personally inspecting the vehicle.

Let me know what the find!

http://www.autotheftexpert.com
http://www.autotheftclaimsmaster.me

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter