Cadillac Repair/oil leak

I havw a 19997 STS witn a Northsstar engine which has a lower engine oil leak. What should I expect to pay for repair?

It totally depends on what the problem is. Oil pan gasket material (usually red RTV silicone) after a period of time from vibration, expanding, contracting can cause a leak. In this case, the pan has to be removed, gasket scraped, resealed. The actual job is not a big deal, but I no longer have labor books on these vehicles and I no longer remember the short cuts if there are any. You could also need a rear main or damper seal, which gets more extensive. You could need a can plug seal and that requires removal of the engine.
In all honesty, the most accurate estimate you can get is take the car to a garage (never a dealer) have the car lifted on a hoist and have someone locate the leak.
There are just too many things it could be without physically looking at the car. I could tell you the rear main seal is leaking because that is common, and the timing cover seal is leaking. This problem needs to be isolated in your car!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.