Cadillac Repair/column ign switch,

Question
1988 Cadillac Eldorado no springback from ign switch,instrument idiot lights remain on with switch in off position,no crank,power at hotwire at distributor with ign switch in off position,also fuel inj.power module clicking with ign switch in the off position.there have been butchers under the dash who bypassed anti theft system.This is my car in ran great no problems for over a year all of a sudden this problem popped up. thanks for reading. any suggestions.
   Dennis

Answer
Hello Dennis,

Thanks for the great feedback. You must admit that GM engineers outdid themselves as to the stupidity of the design on this steering column.
They went to this exclusive steering column for Sevilles and Eldorados to prevent the steering column access similar to their crappy design they used for 30+ years. That design being some kid could start a screwdriver from a hardware store, break the glass to enter, break the left side of the steering column to access the steering column lock mechanisms.
He could steal the car in 30 seconds with no attack on the ignition lock cylinder.

This is not the standard t&t Saginaw steering column. In that vintage, they were Siville and Eldorado only.
Instead of the steering locking mechanisms on the left side of steering column (internal) the column you have was an anomaly.
Here are the very common problems:
The common Saginaw had a rack with teeth that lined up on the sector which controlled locking the steering wheel. In yous, the ignition lock is different as well because the sector gear fit on the back of the ignition lock cylinder issued the steering column on the driver's side.
After time, the sector gear would fall of the ignition lock and bind. It also created timing issues as you are referring to the ignition.
I rarely found a bad electrical ignition switch, unless the hold down screws became loose and you would have to drop the column down to get to them.
The ignition shouldn't be hard to get, but it has a gear on the end. I would suggest if you can get one because it is imminent to Break is the rack and rod assembly as well.
Now, your car came with the VATS resistor chip in key and I believe you will be restricted and have to get the longer VATS lock cylinder which is a lot of money, especially if bypassed. See if you can obtain from a parts store a matching ignition lock with the gear on it. Corsica and other cars used the same style without the VATS.
Steering column has to come apart so you can remove t/s switch, key buzzer and lock. #20 torx holds ignition in and it will fall apart on you. Get the parts and I will tell you what needs to be done.
Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter