Cadillac Repair/1988 Cadillac Eldorado

Question
The brake fluid leak in the rear of the vehicle and emergency brake stays on. Can not find find the leak. What do I need to do?

Answer
Hello Lee,

If you can't find an obvious leak, the very first thing I would suspect would be the master cylinder leaking.
This could turn into a very expensive situation and it is pretty common. The master cylinder leaks into the power booster destroying the rubber in the diaphragm. To test this theory, remove the master from the brake booster. You don't have to disconnect the lines to do this. If you find it wet, there your problem exists!
You will need to put a new master on and get a booster from the junk yard.
I am not sure why you think the brake light is on because of the emergency brake. The light is probably on do to the fact there is a problem in the brake system.
You will need to bleed the brakes after you replace the faulty parts.
If you don't replace the vacuum booster, you can be driving down the road and find that you don't have power assist to stop the vehicle and could cause a crash. Get back to me on this. I think you will find my diagnoses accurate from your description.

Http:www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter