Cadillac Repair/2000 Seville

Question
the drivers door control panel has a mind of its own.The mirror control, door locks, windows you never know what is going to happen next when to try to operate them. Also the head lights turned off once and back on. any areas to look at or what should I do?

Answer
Hello,

I am going to address a very common GM problem that takes years in the making. This may or may not be your issue, but would be consistent with your complaint.
The power wiring for the drivers door controls comes through the kick panel area inside the vehicle. The harnesses go through a rubber boot that can be seen when the door is open and from looking at the front edge of the door below the top hinge.
Over time, the plastic insulation gets brittle, eventually cracks from the opening and closing of the door and wires will break. This causes intermittent operation for the door controls, depending of the broken wires are connected or not when you close the door.
I would suggest that you take a flat blade screwdriver to the door portion of the boot and pray from door. Try to push boot towards kick panel as far as you can to see if you spot any broken wires.
In the event you do find broken wires, you need to remove the door trim panel, disconnect all wiring and mounting for the wiring.
Pull the harness out of the door and slide boot off.
Repair the broken wires, reinstall boot, connect wiring and attach it. Put door panel back on.
Normally, I would tell you to disconnect battery, but I believe this has a transponder PK III ignition. Disconnecting the battery may cause memory for key to be erased and car won't start with programming a new ignition key.

Chances are .pretty good that the wiring has some breaks leading to the door controls.

As for your headlights, one time is not going to be enough to do a competent disgnoses. You will need the problem to occur on a regular basis to determine if you even corrected the problem.

Http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter