Cadillac Repair/cruise contriol

I have a 1998 Cadillac Deval  and the cruise control does not come on  or works at all. I am asking what would I need to do to fix the problem.  Thank you

There are many components involved in the cruise control, in which any could be the cause.
Over and beyond, if the check engine light is illuminated in the dash, the cruise is designed not to function until that is addressed.
This system is not like that in the 70s, back when they were without computers and easy to diagnose. In other words, have one standard answer for the problem.
Now the cruise is linked into the computer where this circuit can fail there.

The first thing you need to establish is that you even have power running up to the steering column.
You will need to check the fuses. Don't be fooled thinking that you found the only fuse box. The owners manual will direct you to the locations of the fuse box.
You can get a cheap test light at Wal-Mart for $7. Use it to check both sides of the fuse with key on. If you find the fuse is blown, replace and try the cruise.
As I said, there are many components involved in the cruise and the best thing to do is obtain a service manual for the car. The library might have one, so call them first.
You should be able to obtain one on eBay or Craig's list for $100.
You might scoff want the price, but the manual diagnostic flow charts will guide you step by step, not only how to diagnose and repair the cruise, but it turns a novice into a professional mechanic on his vehicle for whatever comes about.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.