Cadillac Repair/1966 cadillac deville electric seat

I have a 1966 Cadillac deville. when the electric powered the front seat will push forward but it will not go back. how do i repair this. tracks seem to be ok, electrical seat adjustments seem to be working, however the seat will not move back. The motor runs fine in all positions except back. When you push the button for back you can hear a click on the seat transmission but the motor dose not turn,

Hi Ray,

You have what I believe is what is known as a transmission that the motor powers. The transmission controls the direction of the seat front or rear up or down.

What it sounds like is that you either have a broken cable or stripped gears in the transmission. This problem is still common on the new cars, but designs have changed vastly.
If the tracks are good and it moved forward without binding the transmission or cable are the only things that can be your problem, since power does not seem to be an issue.
The seat needs to be removed either from the track or the floor. Since you don't know which cable controls the seat moving rearward, you may have to rremove all the cables one by one, check them and reinstall. Its been a long time since I worked on one of these, but the cable should have a gear on each end. When you check these cables, all you need to do is take your fingers and rotate the cable. If one binds, you found the problem. If they all turn freely, the problem is in the seat transmission.
You might find the transmission for the seat in the junk yard.
Here is my memory issue- back then, they may have had the seat transmission as an assembly, in which you can't replace individual components as one can now. I simply do not remember. You should be able to determine by looking at the transmission if it is serviceable or not.
Send me a picture of the set motor position in conjuction with the transmission. I remember this vintage of having cables running from the motor to the transmission, but without pictures, I am reliant on this rusty memory from 40 years ago. That is thousands of makes and models before.

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.