Cadillac Repair/1997 Cadillac Deville

Question
My A/C & heater isn't working.. It isn't blowing through the vents , floor , or , defrosting .. The blower is working. The compressor is working.. It's something stoping the A/C from blowing out ??? Can you help me please ? Thanks

Answer
Hello,

Actually its not that big of deal if you understand the system. Locating might be challenging. All the mode doors are controlled by vacuum. For the air to come out the defroster, one mode door closes and another opens. If you go from defroster to max a/c mode door from defrost closes and another opens to send the air to center vents. The concept is now easy for you to understand.
This has been the same concept on GM cars going back to the 60s.
For you to find the mode doors you would have to remove what we call hush panels. They arre on the bottom of the dash hiding the wiring etc. Take the passener side and you will see the plumbing for the heater a/c and the mode doors.
You may have to buy a $20,00 hand vacuum pump for supplying vacuum to your rotary
control valve. You should be able to remove the heater control and you should see a bunch of vacuum lines in a circle. If you were to remove the vacuum assembly and apply vacuum to one of these lines, you would hear a mode door open or close.
Your problem could be as simple as a broken or disconnected hose feeding vacuum to the control unit from the computer or under the hood.
So as I said, knowing what is wrong is half the problem. The other half is location it.

You may have to go to eBay or Craig's to purchase a factory service manual for your make and model. I highly recommend because it will save you money on diagnoses in the future to because even for a novice, the diagnostic flow charts will walk you right through just about any problem, which means no guessing. A/c vacuum schematics are there as well!
I hope I helped you here. Let me know what you find. Good luck!

Www.autotheftexpert.com

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter