Cadillac Repair/Fuel pump

How do I go about replacing the fuel pump on my 1991  Eldorado  ?

This is a pretty easy operation to do. Unless you need to rep k ace now and tank is full. Gasoline is approximately 7 pounds per gallon. A full tank will be heavy. 20 gallons is about 140 pounds.
You need a Jack with wheels and a block of wood between Jack and the tank. Most GM gas tanks use 2 straps to attach the tank. Remove the nuts or bolts that holds these straps. If you are in a state that uses road salt and you have rust, you need to spray attaching bolts with wd 40 or another penetrating oil for 24 hours. You did not Want to snap those hold down bolts !
Once the mounting hardware is disconnected, lower tank and disconnect the wiring and hoses.
Pull tank from underneath vehicle. Once fuel tank is out, there is a big sheet metal washer you are looking at. Take a chisel or a screwdriver and with a hammer hit on an ear that is exposed counter clock wise. Remove the sendingumot/fuelpump. You will find at the end of the unit, a fine screen. When. You order a sick. Install the new "sick" filter. Also  make sure b the sheet metal nut is in correct position , seating it with your fingers. Hit the exposed ear clock wise until is won't move anymore. Reverse the order of terminal of the disassembly procedure. Put put 2 gallons of gas in the tank.try starting engine.
After going through all this work, you may decide to change the filter as well.
For someone not mechanically inclined, the job is pretty simple and it might take one 3 hours to complete this project.
Good luck!

Cadillac Repair

Rob Painter

Alarm system questions cannot be answered on this forum. These systems are not what I can answer. Without being physically at the vehicle and not knowing what kind of electrical service has been done on the vehicle, there is no possible way to give an accurate answer over the internet. My expertise is in Ignition/key based anti-theft systems. These issues include GM VATS (resistor chip in key blade) PASSLOCK (MRD)-ignition lock rotation based, no special ignition key and the PKIII Transponder (computer chip in key) systems. These systems are not alarm based and are integral with the starting of the engine. This is why I cannot diagnose alarm problems without physically looking at the vehicle: Alarm systems are a completely different annimal than ignition key/lock based anti-theft system. Many alarm questions come from vehicles 10 years old, and since older, many hands that had been involved over the years.I am an expert in all GM factory (ignition/key based)systems. Alarm system questions pose to many situations beyond my knowledge as to what has been done to the vehicle over the years. Some guy may have actually wired the stereo into the alarm system. Who knows? Over my past 30 years in vehicle wiring repair, I have seen unbelievable wiring disaters done by guys that consider themselves "mechanics." I have seen stereos and alarms intalled using surgical tape. I have seen modules burn up, un-fused circuits, wiring jambed between the doors and even lamp cord used for a starter kill. To answer alarm questions over the internet without examining the vehicle is like asking; What does it take to remove a dent?

Education/Credentials-ASE certified. 11 years with a GM dealer and 17 years with a repair facility dealing with only the repair of theft recovered vehicles.