Calculus/Calc I

I need help and an explanation of how to find the derivative of y=e^tanx all under a square root

Thank you!

y =sqrt (e^tanx)  =  (e^tanx)^(1/2)

Differentiating both sides wrt x,

dy/dx = (1/2)(sec ^2  x) (e^tanx)^(-1/2)
      = (sec ^2  x)/[ 2* sqrt (e^tanx)]  (shown)

Note that we employ the understanding via the chain rule effect that differentiating y=[e^f(x)]^n  with respect to x gives  dy/dx = n* f'(x) * [e^f(x)]^(n-1) , where f(x)=tan x,  f'(x)= sec ^2  x  and n = 1/2 for the above.

Hope this helps. Peace.

Frederick Koh

I can answer questions concerning calculus, complex numbers, vectors, statistics , algebra and trigonometry for the O level, A level and 1st/2nd year college math/engineering student.

More than 7 years of experience helping out in various homework forums. Latest Presence is over at . You can also visit my main maths website where I have designed "question locker" vaults to store tons of fully worked math problems. A second one is currently being built. Peace.

IEEE(Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers )

Former straight As A level student from HCJC (aka HCI); scored distinctions in both C and Further Mathematics B Eng (Hons) From The National University Of Singapore (NUS) B Sc (Hons) From University of London External (Grad Route)