Calculus/Optimization Problem

Find the dimensions of the rectangle with the smallest area that can be made with the base of the rectangle on the x-axis and the top two vertices on the parabola y = 8 - x^2, where y > 0. The variable x can only be in the range [1,2].

If the base is x - -x = 2x and height is 8 - x, the area is then the product a(x) = 2x(8-x).
That is, the area is a(x) = 16x - 2x.

The derivative of this is a'(x) = 16  - 6x.  Setting this to 0 gives 16 = 6x, so x = 8/3.  This means that x = sqrt(8/3) (since x = -sqrt(8/3) is outside the domain).  That can be multiplied by root(3/3), giving x = sqrt(24)/3.  Since the second derivative is a"(x) = -12x, which is negative at x = sqrt(8/3), this value gives a maximum value.

We are looking for a minimum, however.  Checking the endpoints gives a(1) = 14 and a(2) = 16.
Having done this, it can be seen that the smallest area is at x=1.

Any kind of calculus question you want. I also have answered some questions in Physics (mass, momentum, falling bodies), Chemistry (charge, reactions, symbols, molecules), and Biology (reproduction, insusion of chemicals into bloodstream).

Experience in the area: I have tutored students in all areas of mathematics since 1980. Education/Credentials: BSand MS in Mathematics from Oregon State University, where I completed sophomore course in Physics and Chemistry. I received both degrees with high honors. Awards and Honors: I have passed Actuarial tests 100, 110, and 135.

Maybe not a publication, but I have respond to well oveer 8,500 questions on the PC. Well over 2,000 of them have been in calculus.

I aquired well over 40 hours of upper division courses. This was well over the number that were required. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degree from Oregon State University. I was allowed to jump into a few courses at college a year early.

I have been nominated as the expert of the month several times. All of my scores right now are at least a 9.8 average (out of 10).

My past clients have been students at OSU, students at the college in South Seattle, referals from a company, friends and aquantenances, people from my church, and people like you from all over the world.