Calculus/calculus optimization problem

The lifeguard at a public beach has 400 m of rope available to lay out a rectangular restricted swimming area using the straight shoreline as one side of the rectangle.
(a) If she wants to maximize the swimming area, what will the dimensions of the rectangle be?

(b)To ensure the safety of swimmers, she decides that nobody should be more than 50 m from shore.  What should the dimensions of the swimming area be with this added restriction?

(a) The rope would be used for the far side of length y and 2 shore to the far side of length x.
Thus, the length would be 2x + y = 400, so y = 400 - 2x.  The area would be xy, and
y = 400 - 2x, so the total area is x(400-2x) = 400x - 2x.

This is a downward sloping parabola, so the maximum is where the slope is 0.  The slope is the derivative, and that is 400 - 4x.  This is zero at x = 100.  Since the length is 2x + y = 400, that gives 200 + y = 400.  This means y = 200.  The dimensions will then be 100x200.

(b) If x is no more than 50, and 50 is the best, then x = 50.  Since 2x + y = 400,
that is the same, since x = 50, of 100 + y = 400, so y = 300.

Any kind of calculus question you want. I also have answered some questions in Physics (mass, momentum, falling bodies), Chemistry (charge, reactions, symbols, molecules), and Biology (reproduction, insusion of chemicals into bloodstream).

Experience in the area: I have tutored students in all areas of mathematics since 1980. Education/Credentials: BSand MS in Mathematics from Oregon State University, where I completed sophomore course in Physics and Chemistry. I received both degrees with high honors. Awards and Honors: I have passed Actuarial tests 100, 110, and 135.

Maybe not a publication, but I have respond to well oveer 8,500 questions on the PC. Well over 2,000 of them have been in calculus.

I aquired well over 40 hours of upper division courses. This was well over the number that were required. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degree from Oregon State University. I was allowed to jump into a few courses at college a year early.

I have been nominated as the expert of the month several times. All of my scores right now are at least a 9.8 average (out of 10).

My past clients have been students at OSU, students at the college in South Seattle, referals from a company, friends and aquantenances, people from my church, and people like you from all over the world.