Calculus/Vol and Area

Hi Scotto,

The Volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi r^3 and the area is the first differential ie 4pir^2. Since the first differential of a slope is a straight line why then is the first differential of volume=area. How about if I take the first differential of the area ie 8*pi*r..does it mean anything? Thanks!

If the equation gives the volume, the derivative of this usually gives the surface area.
For a sphere, 4πr/3.  The derivative, 4π, is the surface area.  I'm not sure what the next derivative is used for in volume.

As far as distance, the distance fallen due to gravity (in meters) is 9.81t/2.
The derivative is this with respect to time t is 9.81t, and that is the velocity.
the derivative of velocity is 9.81, and that is the acceleration.

Falling from rest, after 2 second has passed, the distance is 9.81*2/2 = 19.62.
The velocity is 9.81*2 = 19.62.  The second derivative, 9.81, is the acceleration.
This means acceleration is always the same.  That is, of course, neglecting wind resistance.

Any kind of calculus question you want. I also have answered some questions in Physics (mass, momentum, falling bodies), Chemistry (charge, reactions, symbols, molecules), and Biology (reproduction, insusion of chemicals into bloodstream).

Experience in the area: I have tutored students in all areas of mathematics since 1980. Education/Credentials: BSand MS in Mathematics from Oregon State University, where I completed sophomore course in Physics and Chemistry. I received both degrees with high honors. Awards and Honors: I have passed Actuarial tests 100, 110, and 135.

Maybe not a publication, but I have respond to well oveer 8,500 questions on the PC. Well over 2,000 of them have been in calculus.

I aquired well over 40 hours of upper division courses. This was well over the number that were required. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degree from Oregon State University. I was allowed to jump into a few courses at college a year early.

I have been nominated as the expert of the month several times. All of my scores right now are at least a 9.8 average (out of 10).

My past clients have been students at OSU, students at the college in South Seattle, referals from a company, friends and aquantenances, people from my church, and people like you from all over the world.