Calculus/Mathematics

Question
I was hoping you could help me with this math question. It was on last-night's homework and I got it wrong. I tried to ask my teacher today, but he is a substitute that wasn't able to explain it very well (my usual teacher is on maternity leave). If you could show me the answer, as well as how you get that answer, it would be very helpful. I'm a bit lost.

Using a double-angle formula, find the exact value for cos2u when sinu = 3/5 where pi/2 < u < pi

Thank you.

Answer
cos(2u) = 1- 2 (sin(u))^2 because cos(a+b)=cos(a)cos(b)-sin(a)sin(b) (and (cos(u))^2 = 1-(sin(u))^2)

So cos(2u) = 1- 2 * (sin(u))^2
         = 1 - 2 * (3/5)^2
         = 1 - 2 * (9/25)
         = 1 - 18/25

I leave it to you to fill in the last step.

Calculus

Amos