Hello, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. It is solving the multiple-angle equation:
cos(x/2) = -(sqrt3)/2

The basic angle of this equation is given by arcos(sqrt3)/2 = pi/6;

since the cosine function is negative in the 2nd and 3rd quadrant,

we have x/2 = pi- pi/6  or  pi + pi/6

x/2 = 5pi/6,  7pi/6

Hence x= 5pi/3,  7pi/3 (shown)

Depending on the range of values of x (which in this case was not specified), you may have a greater or lesser quantity of answers.

Hope this helps. Peace.  

Frederick Koh

I can answer questions concerning calculus, complex numbers, vectors, statistics , algebra and trigonometry for the O level, A level and 1st/2nd year college math/engineering student.

More than 7 years of experience helping out in various homework forums. Latest Presence is over at . You can also visit my main maths website where I have designed "question locker" vaults to store tons of fully worked math problems. A second one is currently being built. Peace.

IEEE(Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers )

Former straight As A level student from HCJC (aka HCI); scored distinctions in both C and Further Mathematics B Eng (Hons) From The National University Of Singapore (NUS) B Sc (Hons) From University of London External (Grad Route)