A track is for mice, designed in the shape of a rectangle, sandwiched between two semicircles. If the track must have a fixed length of exactly 4 feet, what is the largest area you can enclose with this track?

Let one side be x.  Since there are two sides of this length, that makes up 2x.
That leaves 4-2x for the sum of the other two sides.
This makes one of the other sides 2-x.
With length x and width 2-x, the volume is x(2-x) = 2x - x^2.

If we take f(x) = 2x - x^2, then f'(x) = 2 - 2x.
Setting this to 0 gives 2 - 2x = 0.
Adding 2x to both sides gives 2 = 2x.
Dividing this by 2 gives x = 1.

Since this is the length of one side, and there are two sides, this has a total length of 2.
This leaves 4-2 = 2 for the total of the other two sides.  Since there are two sides for this,
dividing by 2 gives 2/2 = 1.  This means the other sides has length 1.

Since the first side has length 1 and width 1, it is a square of length 1 on each side.

This gives an area of 1x1 = 1.

Any kind of calculus question you want. I also have answered some questions in Physics (mass, momentum, falling bodies), Chemistry (charge, reactions, symbols, molecules), and Biology (reproduction, insusion of chemicals into bloodstream).

Experience in the area: I have tutored students in all areas of mathematics since 1980. Education/Credentials: BSand MS in Mathematics from Oregon State University, where I completed sophomore course in Physics and Chemistry. I received both degrees with high honors. Awards and Honors: I have passed Actuarial tests 100, 110, and 135.

Maybe not a publication, but I have respond to well oveer 8,500 questions on the PC. Well over 2,000 of them have been in calculus.

I aquired well over 40 hours of upper division courses. This was well over the number that were required. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degree from Oregon State University. I was allowed to jump into a few courses at college a year early.

I have been nominated as the expert of the month several times. All of my scores right now are at least a 9.8 average (out of 10).

My past clients have been students at OSU, students at the college in South Seattle, referals from a company, friends and aquantenances, people from my church, and people like you from all over the world.