Calculus/Mathematics Question

Thank you for your assistance with my question. It is:

Determine the value of c so that the function below is continuous:

x^2-3    x<1
cx+2     x(is equal to or greater than)1

For continuity to happen, you simply need to assert that at the point x=1, both x^2-3 and cx+2 yield the same y value.

Thus, substituting x=1 into both expressions and equating them together gives

1^(2)- 3 = c(1) +2

c=-4 (shown)

Hope this helps. Peace.  

Frederick Koh

I can answer questions concerning calculus, complex numbers, vectors, statistics , algebra and trigonometry for the O level, A level and 1st/2nd year college math/engineering student.

More than 7 years of experience helping out in various homework forums. Latest Presence is over at . You can also visit my main maths website where I have designed "question locker" vaults to store tons of fully worked math problems. A second one is currently being built. Peace.

IEEE(Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers )

Former straight As A level student from HCJC (aka HCI); scored distinctions in both C and Further Mathematics B Eng (Hons) From The National University Of Singapore (NUS) B Sc (Hons) From University of London External (Grad Route)