Calculus/12U Calculus

There are 50 apple trees in an orchard and each tree produces an average of 200 apples each year. For each additional tree planted within the orchard, the average number of Apple's produce drops by 5. What is the optimal number of trees to plant in the orchard?

Let x be the number of additional apple trees.

The number produced is then (200-5x)(50+x),

Multiplying this out gives the equation for the number of apples as
N(x) = 10,000 - 50x + 5x.

The derivative gives us N'(x) = -50 + 10x.

Setting that to 0 gives x = 5.

The variable x was for the number of trees, so that is the answer.

Any kind of calculus question you want. I also have answered some questions in Physics (mass, momentum, falling bodies), Chemistry (charge, reactions, symbols, molecules), and Biology (reproduction, insusion of chemicals into bloodstream).

Experience in the area: I have tutored students in all areas of mathematics since 1980. Education/Credentials: BSand MS in Mathematics from Oregon State University, where I completed sophomore course in Physics and Chemistry. I received both degrees with high honors. Awards and Honors: I have passed Actuarial tests 100, 110, and 135.

Maybe not a publication, but I have respond to well oveer 8,500 questions on the PC. Well over 2,000 of them have been in calculus.

I aquired well over 40 hours of upper division courses. This was well over the number that were required. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degree from Oregon State University. I was allowed to jump into a few courses at college a year early.

I have been nominated as the expert of the month several times. All of my scores right now are at least a 9.8 average (out of 10).

My past clients have been students at OSU, students at the college in South Seattle, referals from a company, friends and aquantenances, people from my church, and people like you from all over the world.