Calgary/Internet & TV

Ralph wrote at 2010-04-20 04:41:52
I disagree with Shaw as an internet or phone choice due to security and their phone is via the internet, so don't call your bank or do insurance stuff over the phone if your worried about others getting your information as well.  As far as TELUS, I have been with them since 1978 and have had no issues. I can call them at 3 am with a phone problem and they were fixing it in minutes, instead of recording to call back Monday after 9 AM. My costs are competitive with the competitors, in fact better. Except in LD to Carribbean countries, so I used a prepaid long distance card. Internet- Never virus issue or downed internet. When my modem died, they trouble shooted it back up and sent a replacement the next day.

Jeremy wrote at 2010-12-27 19:22:16
I disagree with a few points in the previous post. First off, I have Telus for internet and they are not as reliable as Shaw. I've never had internet go out for a weekend but with Telus it seems to turn off after continuous usage. You have to reset their modem every once in a while. Its slightly annoying as you have to wait 30seconds to a minute, then its back. I NEVER had to do that with Shaw. Telus in my case is a LOT cheaper, but if you want that you have to call in and negotiate ($15.75 for 7.5mbit)

Another point I disagree on is that I recommend consolidating gas and electricity. Very hard to get discounts for any of these like it is with cell phones, cable, internet, and phone. When you consolidate is the only time you'll get it. I got EasyMax, I forget the numbers but when I got it it was $10-$20 cheaper per month.

With call phone, cable, internet, and all of these, I recommend calling in and saying you're getting offered a better deal somewhere else. Do your research online, find out all the prices, and say someone is giving you a discount and you have no reason to stay. If they don't bite, go to someone else. Then they will call you back and offer something good to get you back. This works with cell phones the easiest. For what I'm getting in terms of my phone if you go online on any of the cell phone providers it ranges for $85-90/month. I pay $55.00-60.00 depending on long distance. Hope this helps.

KenF wrote at 2012-11-04 20:04:18
I don't know if this was correct 4 years ago but it is totally inappropriate to day.

Direct Energy? Just Google "Direct Energy problems" - nuff said, they are crooks!

Shaw seems to have gone off the rails - many cheaper and better suppliers for internet and TV is getting so expensive and their service is reducing I am searching for a change - that's how I came across this. Telus is still like a government department (AGT??). Use them if you have to!

Ralph Meyer

I live in Calgary, have full knowledge on Transportation/ Moving/ Cargo forwarding/accommodations/ lifestyles/where to dine/ fun things to do/ relationships/ social services/hospitals/shelters/renting/buying in Calgary/telecom/ internet in Alberta/life in Calgary.Run a website called I am the owner of RMMT Enterprises, a moving, delivery and Trade Show Delivery and (set up/Tear down) exhibition company. I learn from others so that I can assist people better.

I have lived here since 1978, own a trucking.moving company,running a travel agency for four years in 84, worked at a telco, worked with social service agencies, connections to various clergy, read all papers in Calgary.

Federation of Calgary Communities,Community association, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Calgary Jewish community, Santas Secret Services, Apex Credit Union, now called SERVUS and others. I assist various orgs like Discovery House and YBC bowling at Chinook Centre, Calgary.

Calgary Sun, Calgary Herald, National Post,Globe and Mail, Canadian Business Magazine,Maclean,Time, Readers Digest and on the Internet.

Mount Royal College and Alberta Vocational.

MAYORS AWARD, Premier's Award etc.

Private info for competitive reasns.