You are here:

Calgary/transferring out of province expired drivers license



My boyfriend has an expired Ontario drivers license that he would like to renew in Alberta. He's been here for 10 months, has a permanent address, and the license has been expired for about 4 years.
I want to know what the process is in regards to renewing it, time lines, costs, service locations around Canmore/Kananaskis and any other useful information.

Thank you,


Hi Jillian,

As far as I'm aware your boyfriend should have no issues getting an Alberta driver's license here. Just visit any Alberta registry agent and bring the expired Ontario license and some utility bills as proof of his current address with him.

More info here:

You can search for the nearest registry agent for you at the link below:

Also, as far as costs you will have to confirm with the registry agent, I'm not 100% sure but I think it was around $80.00

Hope that helps,

Horace Cheung,  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Horace Cheung


I am a REALTORŪ (often referred to as "Estate Agents" in UK) based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I can answer any questions pertaining to relocation, transportation, way of life, neighbourhoods, education systems, property buying and selling process etc. in Calgary. I specialize in Condominium properties and have extensive knowledge on all aspects of living or visiting Calgary.


Residential Real Estate, Condominiums, Real Property Valuations

Calgary Real Estate Board, Alberta Real Estate Association, Canadian Real Estate Association

Calgary Real Estate Board Certified Condominium SpecialistŪ

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]