California/Qestion about Carifornia to see the sights.

Dear Sir

I'm planning to go to Carifornia to see the sights on December. This will be my first California trip, so I have little information about California. I'll stay there for a week,and I'd like to do outdoor sports and shopping. Could you please tell me popular places? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

I've never been to California.

I am a student in a Japanese university.

Hi Sayoko,

California is a very large place, even larger than all of Japan. If you only have a week, you understand it will be difficult to get a little more than a sample.

The two major cities in California are Los Angeles and San Francisco. You could easily spend a month in each city getting to know it. They are about 640km apart. Los Angeles will be warmer than San Francisco. Try this for an itinierary:

San Francisco (2 days)
Monterey (1 day)
Drive south through Big Sur to Santa Barbara and Los Angeles (1 day)
Los Angeles (2 days)

Spend an extra day going wherever you wish.

In San Francisco, some famous sights are the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, nad Alcatraz.

In Los Angeles, some famous sites are Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Beach and Pier, and Venice Beach.

Have fun!

Steve Summers

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I`ve lived in the Valley, west side, east side, and South Bay, so I`m an expert on getting around town. I`m knowledgeable about all of the Southern California tourist attractions. I am also an expert on state beaches in Southern California, and have an expansive camping background. No relocation/moving questions, please.

I have lived in Southern California my entire life. I'm a "local", with expert knowledge of Southern California. I've done a lot of extensive traveling to NorCal, so I can provide answers about northern California as a visitor, and southern California as a local.

Not that this matters, but since it's required, I have a Bachelor's Degree. I also have a Master's Degree in the University of Life.