California/Qestion about Carifornia to see the sights.

Question
Dear Sir

I'm planning to go to Carifornia to see the sights on December. This will be my first California trip, so I have little information about California. I'll stay there for a week,and I'd like to do outdoor sports and shopping. Could you please tell me popular places? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

I've never been to California.

I am a student in a Japanese university.

Answer
Hi Sayoko,

California is a very large place, even larger than all of Japan. If you only have a week, you understand it will be difficult to get a little more than a sample.

The two major cities in California are Los Angeles and San Francisco. You could easily spend a month in each city getting to know it. They are about 640km apart. Los Angeles will be warmer than San Francisco. Try this for an itinierary:

San Francisco (2 days)
Monterey (1 day)
Drive south through Big Sur to Santa Barbara and Los Angeles (1 day)
Los Angeles (2 days)

Spend an extra day going wherever you wish.

In San Francisco, some famous sights are the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, nad Alcatraz.

In Los Angeles, some famous sites are Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Beach and Pier, and Venice Beach.

Have fun!

California

Steve Summers