California/CA trip

Question
We are visiting the third week in June. Our itinerary is sequoia NP to Yosemite to LA to San Diego. I had three questions.
1. Do you know of any u pick farms along our route (cherries maybe?)
2. What would be the best family beach to visit for a few hours on our way from LA to San Diego?
3. We want to kayak in the ocean, possibly see some ocean animals and caves. I was reading about LaJolla and the 7 caves. Would that be a good place or do you have another recommendation ( we will have 3 kids 6, 9, and 13 years old with us)
Thanks!

Answer
Hi Leah,

I wish I knew where your starting point was. I think I would suggest a different intinerary. Going from San Francisco, for example, to Yosemite and then Sequoia is a LOT of extra mountain driving. To get from one to the other, you must drive down out of the mountains, then back up into the mountains. My suggestion would be to go to Yosemite, which also has redwood groves. From there, you could go south to Monterey, and do some kayaking there. Monterey Bay is full of otters and wildlife. I have kayaked there myself, and highly recommend it. From there, you could drive down the awesome Big Sur coast to San Luis Obispo and Pismo Beach, then down to LA.

1.Pick your own fruit is available seasonally, and you can find places on Fresno, Madera, and Monterey counties. Check the link below:
http://www.pickyourown.org/CA.htm

2. From LA to San Diego, stick with Huntington or Newport beaches. I really like Newport by the Balboa Pier. If you take my suggestion of coming down the coast, try Pismo Beach or Carpinteria. Both are cool beach towns which are fun to explore. Solana Beach near San Diego is also cool.

3. La Jolla is a very fun place to kayak, but I like Monterey because it seems to have more wildlife. I'm a big fan of the otters. Neither will disappoint, however.

Have fun, and post a follow up if you have more questions.

California

Steve Summers