California/Seeing Sequoias near San Francisco

I am making sightseeing plans for a group (around 6-8)who are interested in seeing the Sequoias.  We are in town early in the day on Friday to attend a convention that begins on Friday afternoon at 5:00. My understanding is that there are sequoias just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. How far would that be? What is the best way, and how long it would take, to get there? What is the best transportation method for getting there from the Hyatt Regency, SF Airport, in Burlingame? We want to visit at least one more landmark in SF.  Any suggestions?  We are considering Chinatown, Japanese gardens, Golden Gate Park, and Fisherman's Wharf.

Hi Barbara,

San Francisco has great public transit that you can probably do this all on public transit. Renting a car would be the fastest in getting to Muir Woods and back, but parking in The City (as the locals call San Francisco) is very expensive and difficult.

You can take BART, the Bay Area Rapid Transit train from Burlingame into the city. If you get off at Embarcadero station, you can take a nice tour of Muir Woods via ferry and bus. There are a number of companies, I found one at From the Ferry building, you can take a street car along the Embarcadero to Fishermans Wharf. From there, visit Pier 39, Fishermans wharf, and Ghirardelli Square. Our family tradition is to have clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl at the Boudin Bakery at Fishermans wharf, followed by a sundae at the Ghirardelli shop at Ghirardelli square a few blocks away.

Also, go to YouTube and look for the bush man of San Francisco. Don't let him scare you! He is one of many street performers you may see around Fishermans Wharf. Unlike LA, SF is a walking town. You walk through it and really get a feel for it. Enjoy!

Steve Summers

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I`ve lived in the Valley, west side, east side, and South Bay, so I`m an expert on getting around town. I`m knowledgeable about all of the Southern California tourist attractions. I am also an expert on state beaches in Southern California, and have an expansive camping background. No relocation/moving questions, please.

I have lived in Southern California my entire life. I'm a "local", with expert knowledge of Southern California. I've done a lot of extensive traveling to NorCal, so I can provide answers about northern California as a visitor, and southern California as a local.

Not that this matters, but since it's required, I have a Bachelor's Degree. I also have a Master's Degree in the University of Life.