California/Universal studios

Hi, my family and I will be heading to universal studios on either August 14th or 15th and we're debating whether or not to buy the front of the line pass or just the regular one? Any ideas on crowd levels? Thank you

Hi Lori,

This is definitely the time of the year that you want to buy the FOTL pass. This is when the big crowds are at the park, it's you get your best use of the FOTL pass. It's especially handy at shows, where you get the best seats (as opposed to those who bought regular tickets). Fair warning: If you sit in the front row for the Water World show, you could very well get wet. That might not be too bad on a hot day, but at least you've been warned.

Crowd levels are pretty high, even midweek. Sometimes I think the midweek crowds exceed the weekend ones. With a FOTL pass, you can alleviate a considerable amount of stress.

My advice is to arrive early, before the park opens for the day. On the 14th and 15th, the park opens at 9, but you should be there at 8:00. That will give you time to park, exchange your tickets (which you printed at home, saving lots of time) for the FOTL pass, and get inside the front gate. They keep you in the front area, and have a "rope drop", when they let you into the rest of the park. Head for the tour trams, so you can catch the first tram of the day. After the tour, you can go through the rest of the park. Familiarize yourself with the map at
Note the srairs at the top of the map that take you to the lower lot. That's where you'll find 3 of the ride: Mummy, Jurassic Park, and Transformers.

Even though I work at Universal, I recommend you don't eat the food inside the parks. There are much better choices at CityWalk, right next door. Just exit the park, and head down to the food court. It's also a great place to have dinner at the end of the day.

Have fun!

Steve Summers

I was born and raised in Los Angeles. I`ve lived in the Valley, west side, east side, and South Bay, so I`m an expert on getting around town. I`m knowledgeable about all of the Southern California tourist attractions. I am also an expert on state beaches in Southern California, and have an expansive camping background. No relocation/moving questions, please.

I have lived in Southern California my entire life. I'm a "local", with expert knowledge of Southern California. I've done a lot of extensive traveling to NorCal, so I can provide answers about northern California as a visitor, and southern California as a local.

Not that this matters, but since it's required, I have a Bachelor's Degree. I also have a Master's Degree in the University of Life.