California - North Bay/Wine Country/Wine tasting and wineries

Im in Northern Cali for a while and was wondering what wineries are good to visit and way of doing it inexpensively?whats should i look for in the experience. I've heard of Lodi. Etc. I've found some cruises but they r a bit up there whats your take on this ? STAYING MAINLY NEAR davis area and interested in wine tasting etc

Hi Sam!

Napa is a great place for wine tasting, but it is expensive.  If you do head to Napa for a day of wine tasting, do an internet search for "wine tasting coupons".  There are many coupons that will save you money that you can just print off the internet.

Lodi is a great place to go wine tasting.  They have more than 40 wineries with tasting rooms.  Many let you taste for free.  Those that charge typically charge around $5, but they will waive the fee if you purchase a bottle.  This area is known for it's old zinfandel vines, many were planted more than 100 years ago.  

To taste some Zinfandel from these old vines head to Macchia Wines, 7099 E. Peltier Rd., Acampo and St. Amant Winery, 1 Winemaster Way, Lodi.  Another favorite for red wines is D’Art Wines, 13299 Curry Ave., Lodi, CA.  If you prefer white wines, visit Acquiesce Winery
22353 N. Tretheway Rd., Acampo.  These are small family owned wineries with great wine.
Pick up a map of the wineries at one of the tasting rooms so you can visit other Lodi wineries as well.

Amador County is about an hour east of Lodi and one of my favorite wine regions.  It's located in the Sierra foothills.  Many of the wineries are located near the small town of Plymouth.  It's a scenic area with many wineries close to each other and fabulous wine.  For more info on Amador wineries visit:

California - North Bay/Wine Country

Kathy Howe

I can answer questions about California wineries and recommend lodging and restaurants for wine regions throughout California. I live in Northern California close to wineries in the Sierra Foothills, Lodi, Livermore, and Napa.

I spend much of my free time enjoying and tasting wine. I am not a wine expert....just someone who enjoys drinking a glass of good wine. My husband and I have traveled throughout California sampling wine and exploring the different wine regions of California for our website, In addition to our website, we publish a free monthly newsletter called Cheers2Wine News. This newsletter focuses on wine, winery events, free wine tasting coupons, and other things to do in the wine country.

B.A. Liberal Studies M.A. Elementary School Curriculum