California - North Bay/Wine Country/Where to Stay?

We will be visiting Napa in May. Can you recommend a descent inexpensive place to stay, even if it's not in Napa itself? We don't need frills and would rather spend our money on food and wine. Most places seem to be $300-$400 nightly. Yikes !!
Thank You

Your best alternatives are in Calistoga at the traditional sulphur spring spa resorts or in the town of Napa.  St Helena Hotel has some surprisingly good prices and is in the best location.  You don't want to be staying outside the valley.  I can't make specific recommendations, but all the accomodations are well covered on-line too.

California - North Bay/Wine Country

Ernest Tufft

I can assist visitors wanting to get off the beaten path and wishing to avoid the wineries where the tour buses stop. I have an intimate knowlege of Napa County in particular, but also know Sonoma, Mendocino, Santa Cruz Mountains, and Foothill Wine Regions. I have taught wine appreciation courses at the community college level, and have worked with the wine retail and hospitality industry.

I worked in the wine industry for 5 years and taught California Wine Appreciation at Solano Community College. I keep track of the each vintage in California as it arrives, and as it's consumed.

I have Masters in English. My focus on wine is in combining wine with food with friends and learning from the wine makers who create this art.