Cameras/Looking for a collector to sell my items

I have a Leica DRP No425321. I also have dozens of lenses and filters for it and all leather cases for each items. Everything was purchased in Germany around WWII. Do I have anything of value?

Hello Sandy,

Serial number 425321 indicates a Leica IIIc, a traditional 35mm coupled rangefinder camera, made by Leitz of Germany in 1946, so it's just after WWII. This is a very common model, with over 130,000 produced between 1940 and 1950, and it seems like the majority have survived. There is probably much more potential value in the lenses. If you contact me at the e-mail address provided below, with a few small pics of all you have in the outfit, I can give you a working evaluation and appraisal. I don't need extreme close-ups or details, you can take some group shots of everything, but make sure to remove all cases and caps so nothing is obstructed from view. Once we know what you have and what it might be worth, I'll make some recommendations for selling, and since you're in California, I may be able to help you personally. I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique, classic, and contemporary cameras, as well as the general history of photography. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm. I can identify and appraise them, explain how they work, and offer insights on their restoration and care. I can also provide historical background on vintage cameras and equipment, and guidelines on their purchase and sale.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for nearly 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at: