Cameras/leitz wetzlar camera

Question
I found this leitz wetzlar camera from Germany with a number d.b.p. 1044601. I was doing demolition work on a hospital today and found it. Was wondering how old it is and if it is worth anything. Any help would be great. thank you!

Answer
Hello Justin,

From the serial number, that's probably a Leica M3, a professional 35mm coupled rangefinder camera, made by Leitz of Germany around 1962. It's a fabulous camera, but value depends on overall condition, whatever lens is mounted on it, and whether there are any additional accessories. Condition is key. They made over 225,000 of these between 1954 and 1966, the majority have survived, so they're quite common, yet still highly regarded for their outstanding quality. Depending on condition and lens, you could have something that's worth as little as $400 or as much as $1800. Then, of course, you'd need to find a buyer, and eBay won't work because that's where too many M3 cameras are floating already, so you'll need some guidance getting it sold properly. Please contact me at the e-mail address below, provide a few small pics, then I'll first verify the model, assess the condition, figure a value range, and finally offer some recommendations for maximizing your profit. The pics don't need to be extreme close-ups or show minor details, I just need to see the overall appearance, but make sure you remove any case or caps so nothing is obstructed from view. Okay, you've got a great camera there, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver