Cameras/Approximate Value of Vintage SNK Shin Nippon Camera

Images of Vintage SNK Shin Nippon Camera with Case
Images of Vintage SNK  

I have an old SNK Shin Nippon Camera, made in Tokyo, Japan.  It is the old type with the lens that comes out like an accordian and folds back up when you're not taking pictures. There is Erinaf Anastigmat 1:3.5f - 75mm printed around the lens; NKB TOKYO printed on the dial with the numbers B | 2 5 10 25 50 100 200.

Thank you for any assistance.

You have a Poppy Six, a simple amateur's folding bellows camera, made by Shin Nippon Kogaku of Japan in the 1950's, for 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch exposures on #120 roll film.  This was a typical post-war Japanese copy of a classic style of German folding bellows camera, such as the Ikonta cameras made by Zeiss Ikon.  It's a very common model, many thousands were sold in Japan, many were brought over to the USA by American soldiers stationed in the Pacific after WWII and then during the Korean conflict, and it seems like most of them have survived to today.  A truly excellent working example might sell in the $60-$80 range in the current collectible camera market, but supply exceeds demand.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique, classic, and contemporary cameras, as well as the general history of photography. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm. I can identify and appraise them, explain how they work, and offer insights on their restoration and care. I can also provide historical background on vintage cameras and equipment, and guidelines on their purchase and sale.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for nearly 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at: