Cameras/Leitz Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 lens #2939807 @1980

Question
Leica Lens
Leica Lens  
Dear David

I have a leica lens I would like to know a bit more about and find out the value.  The printing around the lens says: Leitz Wetzlar 2939807 Elmarit-r 1:2.8/180.  It is in great shape with only a little paint wear on on the tip of the hood.

Thank you

Answer
Hello,

Any Leitz lens with the "R" designation is meant for use with the Leicaflex and/or Leica R series single-lens-reflex 35mm film cameras, and the later versions will also work on the Leica R digital cameras. The Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 is a relatively "fast" telephoto lens in this system...

You have a very early example of the "type II" variation of this lens, it came off the assembly line in 1979, and was introduced to market in 1980. It's much lighter and more compact than the "type I" version, and it has the full function "three-cam" mount that allows the lens to use all available settings and such on all the earlier Leicaflex camera models, and through all the more advanced Leica R3 to R7 models, as well as digital. Although fairly common, the lens remains very desirable, and truly excellent examples can sell upwards of $500. In this sort of generally used shape, it's hard to tell, but I'd guesstimate a fair market value around $350, assuming the optics are clean and bright. They appear and sell regularly on eBay.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver