Cameras/Unknown model Leica Camera #163750

front camera
front camera  
I am trying to find out what model, year this was made, and approximate value.  I received it from my grandfather who used it during WWII.  I believe it is still in working condition, it is very clean and case is intact with no damage or other types of blemishes, that also includes the leather carrying case.  It is chrome top and bottom with black for the body. Lens is Leitz Elmar f=5cm 1:3,5.  SN# 163750.  Also have the original camera guide 8th edition, but does not have the specific model spelled out.  I even have several other lenses and full flash set up for it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You have a Leica Standard (also marketed as the Leica Model E), a simple 35mm viewfinder camera, made by Leitz of Germany around 1935. It's a fairly common model, with over 27,000 units produced between 1932 and 1940, and many have survived. The Standard was the bargain version of the various 1930's Leica cameras, without slow speeds and without coupled rangefinder mechanism. It's considered more collectible than usable today. An excellent fully functional example of the Leica Standard with the Elmar 5cm f/3.5 normal lens should sell in the $350-$450 range in the current collectible camera market. As for the various accessories, there are no significant treasures among what you illustrated in your pictures, so therefore no significant added value. You mention having "several other lenses", but you didn't list or show any of them. If you want me to evaluate those for you, send another inquiry through AllEXperts or contact me directly.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique, classic, and contemporary cameras, as well as the general history of photography. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm. I can identify and appraise them, explain how they work, and offer insights on their restoration and care. I can also provide historical background on vintage cameras and equipment, and guidelines on their purchase and sale.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for nearly 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at: