Cameras/value of rolleiflex

Question
Hi, I have a rolleiflex camera with s/n 1066110, around the lens reads...tessar 1:3.5 7.5cm carl zeiss jena nr. 3029718. I was wondering the value and time period. Thanks!

Answer
Hello,

You have a Rolleiflex Automat (sometimes marketed as the Automatic Rolleiflex) Type 4, a traditional medium format twin-lens-reflex camera, made by Franke & Heidecke of Germany from the end of 1945 to late in 1949, for 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inch (6 x 6 cm) exposures on #120 roll film. It's a fairly common camera, and value depends greatly on condition. A truly excellent example in fully functional condition should sell in the $120-$150 range. A mint example in the original box could go as high as $250. However, there are many available in generally used condition, softly worn yet still essentially working, and they tend to sell regularly in the $70-$90 range. They're wonderful cameras, but the design is archaic by modern standards, and few people buy them to use today. It's more about the history and the collectible interest.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver