Cameras/Leica D.R.P. Serial Number 603354

Hello David!

I was wondering if you perhaps could help with a rough evaluation of what my Leica iiif circa 1952 might be worth?

I know the camera was serviced by my parents sometime in the early 70's but it's not been used since at least 1980.

The lens it has is a Ernst Leitz Wetzler Summarit f=5cm 1:1.5 Nr. 952225

The camera is in very good condition but would probably require another thorough and professional cleaning / going over before being used today.

Serial number 603354 clearly identifies this as a Leica IIIf "black dial" model 35mm coupled rangefinder camera made in 1952, and serial number 952225 places the lens in 1952 as well, so a nice match. The IIIf is a very common camera, with over 180,000 units produced between 1950 and 1957, but it's highly regarded as a model that remains as usable as it is collectible, so good working examples are doubly desirable. This is a very open and easily researched market. A truly excellent example of a "black dial" Leica IIIf camera from 1952, with a matching Leitz Summarit 50mm f/1.5 lens in equally excellent shape, should sell in the $425-$475 range in today's collectible camera market. If they weren't so darn common, they'd probably sell for significantly more, but there's no lack of them on eBay these days...

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization  

David Silver

I'm an expert on all types of antique, classic, and contemporary cameras, as well as the general history of photography. Everything from ancient box cameras to modern single-lens-reflex; from simple Kodaks to sophisticated Leica and Nikon; from glass plates and roll film to movie and 35mm. I can identify and appraise them, explain how they work, and offer insights on their restoration and care. I can also provide historical background on vintage cameras and equipment, and guidelines on their purchase and sale.

I've been a professional photographer and a student of the history of photography for nearly 30 years. During that time my collection of vintage cameras and photographic paraphernalia has grown beyond 2000 significant pieces. I've published nearly 70 articles in the field, including 16 in the popular "Buying Classic Cameras" series for PHOTO SHOPPER MAGAZINE from 1995 to 1997, I'm currently a contributing editor for CAMERA SHOPPER MAGAZINE and McKEOWN'S PRICE GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC CAMERAS, and I've written numerous entries for WORLD BOOK ENCYCLOPEDIA. Portions of my collection have been displayed in museums and special exhibits in the past two decades, and many of the items were photographed as illustrations for books. In 1985 I founded the International Photographic Historical Organization (InPHO), which eventually evolved into its intended purpose as the best first resource for information on the history of photography. I'm also a founding member of several e-mail forums dedicated to specialized areas of photography, and I'm the moderator of the Internet Directory of Camera Collectors (IDCC), which remains the largest and most successful such group in the world. For more information about the International Photographic Historical Organization and its many services, please visit its web pages at: