Cameras/Leica Camera

Question
Camera
Camera  

extras
extras  
Not sure of the year this camera was made, sometime in the mid fifties. It looks to be in excellent condition and has all the extras, in the same condition. Appreciate anything you can tell me.

Answer

Hello,

That's a late 1950's Leica M camera, either a 2 or 3, a classic 35mm coupled rangefinder model, made by Leitz of Germany. Extremely high quality, regarded among the finest mechanical 35mm cameras ever conceived, but extremely common. Over 300,000 produced from 1954 to 1966! I could identify the model and year of manufacture more precisely if I could see the information on the top plate, but an accessory exposure meter is mounted there, and you really don't want to mess with any of this if you're not familiar with the system overall. No problem. As for the "extras", you have the Hektor 13.5cm f/4.5 telephoto lens that is the single most common and cheapest long lens they made, and then an old fan flash attachment for flash bulbs and the Vivitar electronic flash purchased much later. The flash stuff is essentially worthless. Okay, assuming it's all in excellent fully functional shape, the camera with exposure meter stuck on top, the standard lens, the telephoto lens...it's about a $700 set in today's used camera market. Tough to sell because there's so many available, not the sort of thing you dangle on eBay, and it's very competitive out there. If you need help, give me a holler at the e-mail address provided below and I'd be happy to either locate some prospective buyers or actually broker a sale for you.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver