Cameras/Zeiss Ikon w/ Ultron Lens

Question
Hello, I was trying to do some research on the internet on the value of my camera. I was starting to get a headache when I came upon your site and thought why not ask an expert. I have a Zeiss Ikon Voigtlander Icarex 35 S TM that has a Carl Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm lens. I also have the black Zeiss Ikon Voigtlander camera case. The camera has always been kept in the camera case.  In my non expert but average joe opinion the camera and case are in very good+ condition. Could you please tell me what you think my camera w/ case may be worth? Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hello Lori,

Okay, Icarex was a system of 35mm single-lens-reflex cameras, made by Zeiss Ikon and later in conjunction with Voigtlander of Germany throughout the 1960's, intended for the advanced amateur photography market. There were several different models as the line evolved, and the 35S TM of 1968 was the last and essentially the best...

The case is nothing special...plenty of like-new replacements are readily available on eBay for $25-$35. The camera actually isn't terribly special, it has a problematic electronic system, although it's a fairly popular model among certain collectors...a truly excellent fully functional example might bring upwards of $200, but there are plenty of worn and/or nonfunctional examples out there you could buy for a fraction of that amount. No, the special thing is the lens! The Carl Zeiss Ultron 50mm f/1.8 standard lens, in your situation in the very desirable 42mm screw mount (what is also known as M42 mount, or often as Pentax/Praktina mount), is a fabulous beast, and a truly excellent example with crystal clear glass without scratches or wipe marks can sell in the $250-$350 range all by itself. If you know the camera is clean and complete and still functional, you should be able to sell it with the lens and case for $400-$500 without much difficulty. If the camera is worn and/or of questionable functionality, sell the lens separately and give away the camera in its case to Goodwill or similar charity. The lens is easy profit. The camera can be a headache to deal with if it isn't working...

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver