Cameras/huttig lloyd camera

Question
camera
camera  

camera
camera  
I have a camera that my great uncle apparently got in WWII. He was in hand to hand combat.
I was wondering if it is worth anything and if the story sounds like it could be true. I have found nothing on line except for one that sold for under $100.
Since my kids will never want it, I thought I may trade it for a decent digital camera with zoom.....dream big.
I'd appreciate if you could tell me anything about it.
Thank you so much.

Answer

Hello Debbi,

There is no reason that your great uncle could not have acquired this camera during his combat duty in WWII, except this model is actually significantly older. The Huttig firm did not even exist independently after 1926 because it combined with several other German companies to form the photographic giant Zeiss Ikon. Your Lloyd camera dates from around 1905-1908, and was designed to make 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 inch exposures on either #118 roll film (or whatever the European equivalent of that size) or on glass plates loaded in skinny little holders that slipped into the back. These cameras remain fairly common in Europe, where they do indeed sell for "under $100", and for a truly excellent example I would suggest a current collectible market value in the $70-$90 range. I'm afraid it won't get you very close to a "decent digital camera", but it's certainly better than a poke in the eye. If you're determined to sell and wondering where to do it, your only option might be eBay because you need to reach a wide audience. Regarding how and when your great uncle might have acquired this camera, if it was during WWII, most likely as war booty scavenged out of a wrecked household somewhere, but certainly not from a German soldier. A camera like this was not only too old for a "modern" German soldier to have carried into war, but also much too large and cumbersome.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver -- President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver