Cameras/old leica camera

Question
leica
leica  

leica
leica  
hello,
my brother recently passed and I had the task of cleaning out his home. While doing so I found an old leica camera that belonged to my dad. I remember him using this camera when I was a child (I'm now 66). On the top of the camera are the #'s 38079 & 362938. On the lense is the # 494556. I was wondering if you could give me any information concerning this camera. I believe it has been stored in the same dresser drawer for over 50 years without use.
I took a few photos of this camera I will attempt to attach. Thanks very much for your time and consideration.
regards, robert

Answer
Hello Robert,

This is an example of a Leica IIIb camera, an otherwise fairly common model of 35mm coupled rangefinder camera, that was specifically requisitioned from the Leitz factory in March of 1940 for the German military during WWII. The 38079 stamp is the requisition code. The value of the camera depends on its overall condition. It should have an additional stamp on it somewhere on the back, either an engraving on the chrome or pressed directly into the leatherette, indicating "Luftwaffen Eigentum". If that marking is missing, or it's been defaced, the camera will have little value beyond the normal average market value for a typical old worn Leica IIIb. If the Luftwaffen Eigentum stamp is there and intact and still bold, the camera essentially doubles in value, although we still have to consider whatever adjustment for overall cosmetic and functional condition. Take a look at the camera again, see if the marking is there, and get back to me perhaps with two additional pics, one showing the entire back and another showing the entire front, then we can better assess condition and value. If it's any easier for you, feel free to contact me directly at my e-mail address provided below.

Best wishes,

David F. Silver - President
International Photographic Historical Organization

silver@photographyhistory.com  

Cameras

David Silver